The Facebook Marketing Conference that took place in New York City last night confirmed most of the stories that had been doing the social media rounds and added a few more tools to help marketers get more from Facebook.
What was Confirmed :
- Timeline for brand pages – These have already become available for brands to customise and curate content, and will be made publicly visible by March 30, but a few brands, notably Starbucks and Lexus have already upgraded to the Timeline view.
- Mobile Advertisements – Brands will be able to put sponsored ads directly in the news feeds of the Facebook mobile users.
- Real-time Insights – As reported earlier this week, real-time insights for brand pages will soon be available. Additionally, a lot more of these metrics will be publicly visible for brands that have upgraded to the timeline view, so marketers and other users will be able to see some of each other’s stats. Currently, the only visible metrics are the number of ‘likes’ and people talking about the page. The timeline view will enable people to see the most popular city, most popular age group, most popular week, new likes per week and weekly number of people talking about the page.
New Announcements :
Reach Generator – A new premium advertising solution for large clients who are looking to reach a higher percentage of users is being launched. The Reach Generator allows advertisers to pay Facebook on an ongoing basis, to sponsor one page post every day, and guarantee a 75 percent reach of the page’s fan-base over a month-long period. Currently, the percentage of a page’s fans who see the page’s posts in their news feed are about 16 percent.
Log-out Experience – Currently, when users log-out from Facebook on their desktop browsers, the page shows a prompt to log back in, or sign up for a new account. The page will now feature a large and prominently-placed ad, which can be in the form of videos, photos, offers, events or questions. Any premium page post ad can be featured on the log-out page.
With so many new features available for brands, which ones do you think would be the most beneficial for your brand? Some key thoughts to consider:
- How will the Timeline view benefit a brand? Do you think it will attract more people to a brand’s page?
- While the mobile ads are a boon for marketers, do you think they will become a bane for the consumers?
- How comfortable are you with the idea of being able to see the stats of other brands pages, and conversely with other brand pages being able to see your stats?
What are the aspects of these new tools that you like or don’t like? Discuss in the comments section.