In a webinar held on June 07, 2011, Kedar Gavane, Director India for comScore, presented a findings of their latest report on the “State of Internet with a Focus on India”. At IndiaSocial, we have tried to share some of the key interesting findings from the report about the web usage in India.
Scope of the report
comScore State of Internet with a Focus on India provides insights into the analysis of top online activities such as buying behavior, web search, online travel, social networking and more across India with comparison to BRIC counties, US, Japan, European nations. Also, it gives insights into the top online brands across different sectors.
- Population of users sharing internet or accessing from Internet café’s is 35 million in India which is comparable to around 43 million of the people working from home/office.
- The average internet usage per person in India (in hours) is 12.5 which is the least if compared to other countries of the same web population but is expected to improve with better connectivity.
- Males spend more time online than females in most age groups. Interestingly in the 35-44 years age group women in India lead internet consumption over men (13.3 Female vs. 11.6 Male)
- Reach of key categories on web in India – Search (87%), Social Networking (85%), E-mail (78%), News (58%), and Education (41%)
- A growth of 16% can be seen in Social Networking usage in India (from 73% in 2010 to 85% in 2011)
- Facebook’s popularity among Indian online users is at a high with around 31.5 million users, double of what it was in 2010.
- On the other hand, email usage has remained the same since a year at 78%.
- Growth rates for key segments – India – News/Info (16%), Personal & Tech sites (7%), Finance (4%), Career services (8%), Travel (13%), Retail (14%)
- Computer software is the most visited online retail category in India with 16.8% followed by consumer goods and computer hardware at 14% and 11.6% respectively.
- Times of India (2nd most viewed news site in India) gets comparable audience from NRI population ( 59% India 41% NRI)
- Indian Railways tops the chart in online travel sites with 19.4% users. Other websites which follow it are Yatra Online (7.5%), MakeMyTrip (6.9%) and Cleartrip (5%)
- ICICI Bank (10.9%), HDFC (8.9%) and Moneycontrol (7.8%) are the top 3 sites among business/finance sites in terms of their reach
- Cricket World Cup was one of the major reasons leading to increase in visits to sports websites (Increase of 38% in 2011)
- 40% of the Indian population on web visits Job portals and career development sites, an increase of 8% over the last year.
- Similar to the above, education portals in India have seen a positive growth of visitors as compared to other countries (13%).
Some statistics in detail
People within the age groups of 15-34 are the most active and engaging users. The use of internet across various verticals is growing fast with social networking being the key driving factor of PC and mobile activity.